- Connect SerialEyes
This document provides the steps required to connect a OneDDI SerialEyes
instance to a device so that a serial port on the device can be accessed by a
Ensure all requirements listed in the Requirements section are satisfied,
then follow all steps under the Connect SerialEyes section.
The following items are required to connect SerialEyes:
- Laptop - With one ethernet port, two USB ports and minimal memory - no
disk is required
- USB drive - At least 100mb in size
- USB to serial adapter - If the laptop has a physical serial port it can
be used instead
- Serial cable - Appropriate for the device which SerialEyes will be
The following SerialEyes configuration should have been received from the
requesting OneDDI user:
- IP - IP address
- MASK - Subnet mask
- GW - Gateway IP address
- PORT - UDP listen port
- KEY - Connection key
These parameters are used by SerialEyes to listen for inbound connections from
Use the following steps to connect a SerialEyes instance to a device and make
it ready for connections from OneDDI:
- Download the OneDDI SerialEyes ISO file and use an
appropriate tool to create a bootable USB drive - this step need only be
performed once and the resulting USB drive can be re-used each time
SerialEyes is used.
- If the SerialEyes configuration was received from the requesting OneDDI user
in a file it can be copied to the root of the USB drive, ensuring that it
- Connect the laptop to the network, and to the serial port on the device
using the serial cable and the USB to serial adapter.
- Connect the USB drive to the laptop and power it on, ensuring it boots from
the USB drive.
- If a SerialEyes configuration file was not copied to the USB drive in step
2, or the file has a paramter unset, as SerialEyes boots it will prompt for
the missing parameters using an orange text.
- Once booted the text
SerialEyes <version> ready! will be displayed in
green text, and the requesting OneDDI user can be informed that SerialEyes